Sunday, August 26, 2007

Pompei





























Today I went to Pompei and it has been something i've wanted to do for a very long time. I remember when I was little me and Mum looking at a book about Pompei, specifically I remember seeing a picture of a dog, dead, covered in ash. So going to Pompei was like a very surreal experience for me. It was very sad. To look at what was a vibrant City, they had markets and homes and roads build for wagons, you could even see the groove in the road where the wagons travelled. The street signs were not words because people did not read, they were symbols. Pompei's inhabitants were very into gambling as many of their murals and paintings have to do with women, and gambling. The bodies that I saw were actual people who died in Pompei, however it was the worse death possible. Because when the volcano errupted it wasn't the Lava that hit Pompei it was Ash and Gas. So the people sufficated slowly yet kept their shape. This is very different from a neighbouring city which had been covered in Lava (Herculaneum), so the people there literaly incinerated once the Lava hit them, quicker death then those of Pompei.
The bodies in Pompei were preserved because a once everything settles, the ash covering their bodies made holes, when you looked through all of the bones were completely fine so they poured mold into the casing and created body molds.
Anyways, little depressing but I found it so interesting and very sad.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

funny i saw a documentary on pompei and since then i wanted to go see it myself

SusanE said...

I think August 25th is the anniversary of Pompeii.

Must have been a really weird experience. I've always wanted to go there. I read a book about it when I was a kid.

Fascinating place. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Cherylinn said...

That's amazing.

Stephanie, Matt, Kaden and Ireland said...

Yeah i would say that is a lil depressing but cool all at the same time.. Glad to see you are getting out on lots of tours this time around..

Fiddling Granny said...

I remember reading a National Geographic issue about Herculaneum, it haunted me for long time afterwards. I can only imagine how much more intense being there would be. It''s on my list of life "must do's".

Thanks for posting about that Meg!