Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Driving a Lifeboat

So today was my very first day actually driving a lifeboat. WOW! We went up to Deck 7, wearing our white coveralls like real "technical" working people. Within 5 minutes of climbing around the wires to release the Lifeboat I got my first dirt mark on my coveralls!!!!! I'm sooooooooo technical now!

We did the checks of all the wires and hooks and then were lowering the lifeboat to the ocean. For a brief moment I began to question WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING...as i'm picturing the cable snapping and us plumetting to the ocean. However we hit the water without drama. After a few people had their turn it was mine....super fun, although its a little bit like driving a bathtub, but bigger! Very hard to steer. Now my last turn was just before we were going in so the instructor asked if I would like to park under the cables. I laughed and said "are you crazy" he said nope, give it a try. So in I went, steering towards the ship, praying not to screw up, waiting for the intructor to hell commands and then I realized, he said turn to Starboard and the tub wasn't going as sharp as I would like. I hit reverse yet it was too late, with a bump we hit the ship, luckily it was very very tiny little bump. The instructor laughed so hard I thought he would go overboard, at that time I look up and in the window of the Purser's office is a note "SLOW DOWN MEG!" How fantastic that they would try to help me!

Anyways...lesson learned, must come in slower, must crank wheel harder and must ignore instructor as he had more fun with me doing what I did then if I had made it!!!!! Stay tuned.

5 comments:

Homee Dad's View of Life said...

mego - I am so proud of my first born, you managed to hit that big white floating city with your tiny lil bathtub. Next time maby the Captain will move the city out of your way!!

Good work Mego - keep it up

Homee dad

SusanE said...

Wish someone had video taped it.

I love your co-workers. They sound like they must be a blast.

Have fun and keep the stories coming.

Anonymous said...

i am glad your bathtub only hit the big white floating city with a tiny bump otherwise there may be a titanic 2 .... are they sure they want YOU driving the bathtub?
lol .. keep the stories coming

Cherylinn said...

Is there a reason you are learning to drive a life boat? Sounds like you had a blast.

Stephanie, Matt, Kaden and Ireland said...

Good job megan